Margarita Cocktail Kit
Looking for a delicious way to enjoy tequila? Look no further than a classic margarita! Our margaritas are made with only the finest ingredients and are perfect for any occasion.
Margarita, the Spanish word for "daisy", is a cocktail made from just three simple ingredients - tequila, orange liqueur and fresh lime juice. The true origin of the Margarita is disputed and there are plenty of origin stories floating around - it's often seen as part of the daisy family of cocktails (consisting of a spirit, a liqueur and citrus), and is widely believed to be a variation of the 'brandy daisy', swapping out brandy for tequila. Another early story is that it was invented in the 1930s by Carlos "Danny" Herrera at the Rancho La Gloria restaurant, created for a customer who was allergic to most spirits except tequila. Another story tells of a Dallas socialite called Margarita in Acapulco, Mexico, who combined blanco tequila with Cointreau and lime juice for her guests. Whatever the true origin, it's a classic, simple cocktail with sweet, sour and fruity notes, guaranteed to tickle every one of your tastebuds.
To elevate your margarita to the next level, try making it with a blanco tequila made from 100% blue agave - this will make all the difference to your drink. Use freshly squeezed limes for your lime juice rather than a lime juice mix too, to really taste the difference.
It can be served over ice (on the rocks), blended with ice to make a Frozen Margarita, or straight up without any ice at all, in a margarita glass. It has now become totally acceptable to serve Margaritas in lots of different types of glass - anything from pint glasses and schooners to wine or gin glasses. The rim of the glass is often salted to enhance the flavour. Some people like to spice their salt for an extra layer of flavour, or even substitute the salt for sugar for a sweeter drink.
How to make a Margarita
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz orange liqueur (like triple sec, Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- 1 oz lime juice
- Pour a small pile of salt onto a plate.
- Rub around the rim of a margarita glass with a slice of lime and dip the glass into the salt until it sticks to the rim. If you prefer less salt, only cover half of the rim.
- Add all of the margarita ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and pour into the glass, taking care not to wash away the salt.
- Tommy's Margarita - tequila, agave syrup and lime juice.
- Frozen Margarita - tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice, blended with ice.
- Spicy Margarita - tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and fresh chillies muddled with agave syrup.
- Strawberry Margarita - tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, agave syrup and fresh strawberries, blended.